This is a great recipe to use up all of your leftover tomatoes. In fact it tastes even better with over-ripen tomatoes that were left a bit too long in the sun ☀️ I usually make it with heirloom tomatoes from our local farmers market
This recipe is vegan and gluten-free, however you are welcome to add some mozzarella (on top of the onions and before adding the tomatoes). I’ve tried both versions and they both taste really good, with mozzarella adding a bit of a milder flavour. Also, I find that it really helps to caramelise onions for longer for a deeper, more intense flavour. Be careful not to burn them 🔥
Tomato & Red Onion Tart
- 1 ready made puff pastry (gluten free or regular)
- 2 red onions
- 1 garlic clove
- selection of tomatoes of your choice
- mozarella (optional)
- a pinch of brown sugar
- fresh basil and thyme
- balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Heat the olive oil and cook the onions for about 15-20 minutes until softened. About half way through add a pinch of sugar – it will help to caramelise the onions. Add garlic last and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Roll out the puff pastry and transfer it to a slightly greased baking tray. Prick pastry a few times with a fork and pre-bake for about 5 minutes.
- Spread the onions evenly over the pastry and top it with sliced tomatoes and mozzarella (if using).
- Sprinkle over with salt, pepper, fresh thyme and basil and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the pastry is cooked through.